Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cranberry Wine

So here's the deal with this one. I'm fermenting it right now. Which means the recipe isn't necessarily tried and true by yours truly. I'm not in the habit of doing this. However, cranberry wine is coming very, very highly recommended from several individuals who are quite expert in the way of making country wines, and this recipe is a middle-of-the-road to those recipes that others have tried and claim to be excellent. Mine is almost done fermenting, and I just had a little taste. It was wonderful. Most wines, when I have tried them while they're still fermenting are disgusting. If this one is good being only 85% fermented, I cannot imagine the flavor a year from now! American and Canadian supermarkets are flooded with cranberries right about now, so make some!


2 lbs. cranberries
boiling water to one gallon.
6 cups sugar
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
less than 1/8 teaspoons tannin (or just don't worry about it)
wine yeast


Coarsely chop cranberries in food processor. Place in sanitized stock pot. Boil water. Very carefully pour the boiling water over the chopped cranberries. Cover and let sit until the must reaches room temperature. Add in pectic enzyme and stir with sanitized spoon. Let sit overnight.
Next day add in nutrient, sugar, tannins and wine yeast. For yeast I used K1V, but I've heard that red wine yeasts also do a really nice job. Make sure everything is dissolved well. Let sit for 1-3 days covered.

Strain the must with cheesecloth, a beer boiling bag, or a turkey stuffing bag into your fermenter. (I doubled up two turkey stuffing bags and it worked marvelously.) Cover with lid, attach airlock, and allow to ferment! Rack as necessary, bottle still (not a bubbly wine or cider!).

Enjoy.

I can't wait for this to age... I am really excited about this recipe, and made 1 and 1/2 gallons.

Get to it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi... Was wondering how your wine came out...checking out recipes, as I have picked lots of cranberries today, and thinking of making wine instead of chutneys, jams, breads, and muffins.... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 5 Gal. of Cranberry-Raspberry wine in 2015, about 12% alc...cranberry I thought would be the dominant being the stronger of the two, but the raspberry slightly edged it out...but both made an excellent wine...fruit wines (non grape) I find can be cloudy and difficult to clear (i.e., timely, especially if you over crush them...I used some ebonite and it cleared overnight...

    ReplyDelete