Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Peach Melomel

Ramble: Melomel is mead fermented with fruit.  Some of my favorite wines that I've made by far are meads and peach wines, so I decided what the heck! It's time for a peach melomel.  This recipe has turned out so well that it may be my new all time favorite; my only regret is that I didn't make it sooner.


Recipe:
1 quart peaches
1 3/4 lbs clover honey
water to 1 gallon
1/8 tsp tannins
1/8 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
1 sachet Pasteur Champagne yeast





Chop up the peaches, throw into a stock pot with one or two quarts of water.   Add the honey. Bring the mixture to a slow boil with the lid of the pot on. Let cool without opening. 

When the mixture has cooled down to at least 80 degrees Fahrenheit, add in the tannins, acid blend, and yeast nutrient, stirring with a sanitized spoon.  Let sit overnight. 

The next day strain out the peach chunks while transferring the must to the sanitized fermenter. Add the yeast, cap the fermenter with an airlock, and allow to ferment dry.  I found this to make an absolutely fruity and light dry melomel.  Bottle and age as you will, and enjoy!  Try adding 1 tsp sugar to each bottle for a carbonated, summery treat!

Notes:  I found that this mead was ready to drink as soon as I bottled it, which is a totally new experience for me as I generally like to age my meads six months before drinking, and a year if I can stand to wait that long.

I used my mom's delicious canned peaches for the job, as I do for my peach wine, and the result was--as always--wonderfully successful. When I use canned peaches, I add the liquid, peaches, and all.  Go ahead and give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Richard, I prefer a sweeter melomel, how would you go about making this just a bit sweeter? My husband loves peaches and I'm very much a novice but have made a few meads already and we are hooked.

    ReplyDelete