Friday, February 25, 2011

The Roots


Wine-making is an ancient art. Really ancient. In early January of this year newspapers widely published that scientists had discovered the oldest winery in the world - not in France, not in Spain - in Armenia! This ancient winery was complete with presses and vats, all dating back about six thousand years.

My own interests in wine-making began about a month before reports of this discovery emerged. I have to admit, my first few batches were so rudimentary, even the Armenians six thousand years ago would have scoffed at me. I made two batches of wine on December 18: one gallon of Pumpkin Wine and one gallon of "red" wine as I like to call it, but the recipe said hooch, as it called for frozen,concentrated grape juice. Wait! Wait! It wasn't any of the high-fructose corn syrup stuff, I promise, at least it was natural, no preservatives or anything (those will kill the yeast). I didn't want to invest a lot of money, and I didn't have to. I had a lot of fun, it was cheap, and though it's only a few months later (I'm not a patient as I ought to be) the sampled product has turned out to be not all that bad! Having been met with just a little bit of success, I've decided to turn it all into a bigger project: to encourage others, to share recipes, and to keep having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment